Sunday, February 29, 2004

MuzAc MemOriez

I woke up thinking about music and my own personal awakening to it. I remember being 8 or 9 years old, living in Aurora Colorado, and listening to the radio for long periods of time after school, waiting for my favorite songs to come on the radio so I could record them on blank tapes. Did anyone else do this? I am guessing that not everyone does, because I asked Anna to make me a tape for Christmas and she didn't know how. Then again, I was a kid in the age of tapes, not CD's. I remember my "papa" bought me a boom box I guess when Iwas about that age and that boom box (does anyone else know what I am talking about when I say boom box) was my best friend until it died and I got one of those stereos w/ the record player/CD player/ Two tape deck and separate speakers, probably around 8th grade. Papa might have bought that for me,too, he used to spoil me at Sam's club. :) I remember the first tape I owned, at at 8/9 was "Tiffany". I can't remember now how I first heard of Tiffany, but I listened to her over and over. Anyone remember "I think we're alone now"? Okay well me and my "friend" Megan, used to make up choreography dances at recess. All the boys loved to watch her and usually made fun of me. But I won't get into that. When me and Kendra would visit our cuzins in Kansas City (Adam and Ryan) we would listen to Tiffany and other stuff too, I just can't remember it now. We would jump on their trampoline I remember that, it was fun. Fast forward to 7th grade, I remember listening to "Z-ROCK" when I went to bed every night> We lived in Belton, MO by then, and I shared a bedroom with Franky temporarily. My dad didn't appreciate the sounds of Guns N roses and Metallica coming through the walls late at night so he gave me headphones to use. They were the BIG headphones like they use in recording studios (I think he had them since the 70's) and I couldn't lay on the side of my head with them. But I listened to Z ROCK religiously on an A.M. radio station, until they got taken off the air. I heard they were in Dallas for a while, too, and had the same cultish following. At this time in my life I grew very fond of Metallica and Guns N Roses, this was when the BLACK album was out and the Use your Illusion albums. I got my Metallica tape confiscated repeatedly by my dad, who read the lyrics and saw things against God in them. He put the tape in his sock drawer every time he took it away, and I would go take it back. I lived for that music, the words seemed to explain to me how I felt. My parents did not understand who I was turning into, wearing black, makeup, and that early 90's high bangs look... but I won't go into that, either. SO next I was in a house in Belton, with my own bedroom in the basement listening to Guns N Roses "Don't Cry" and "November Rain" and "Coma" over and over... By this time I was friends with Nikki and Kimmy and was getting in trouble with my parents constantly...... I had also made great friends with my neighbor, Brett, who was a grade above me. We used to sneak out at night a lot to smoke cigarrettes and walk around the dark suburbs. He gave me a Motley Crue CD with "Home Sweet Home" on it, which he stole from the guy who lived next door, that we picked on a lot. Fast forward a couple years..... summertime at the lake of the ozarks, Kendra, me, Adam and Ryan listening to "Scorpions" over and over......... "Send me an angel" is the song that sticks out in my mind the most. Listening to that tape on the dock, while tanning with baby oil on our skin, in the top of the shed, while carving our names in the wood and sneaking cigarrettes. I also remember listening to Metallica "One" at the lake with Nikki up in the camper trailer we sometimes made our temporary bedroom... I remember Kimmy introducing me to Garth Brooks, who I did grow to enjoy over time... My parents sent me and Nikki on a youth group trip when we were in 8th or 9th grade and we listened to Nine Inch Nails and tried to get a tattoo at a place near the dorms we were staying in. Nine inch nails was a long time obsession that sent me into "loving" Marilyn Manson, which I was very INTO when I moved to Texas in the middle of my 10th grade year. I would look forward to coming home from school just so I could listen to that CD over and over again... There were lots more, but I do not want to lose any readers who might still be here with me... I am not sure what the point of this blog is, except memories that overwhelmed me so I wrote them down. I could go on for another hour, but maybe I will just do a continuation. I have horrible memory loss, so to me, remembering this much makes me really happy.

So my question to you? Do you remember the first music you were passionate about? Do you have a fave CD you listen to now, for days or weeks, then move on to something new?

Thanks for reading! XOXO

No comments: