Monday, July 25, 2005

3 kids and a lemonade stand

Yesterday I had my neices over for about ten hours. This was not a planned thing, as they were supposed to be visiting Casey, but he has no idea how to entertain them. SO I am their choice and I took on the challenge. It started out as a conversation between Katherine (9 yrs) and I on the way to WallyWorld. She wants her own room, separate from her 6 yr old sister, but can't move into her grandparents spare room until she gets the things she needs to decorate it. This includes paint ($20), a new bedspread ($30), and a TV stand ($?). So I mentioned that she should offer to do little chores for people for a dollar or two here and there and she could save up pretty easily. Then I spouted out "or u could have a lemonade stand......" Well let's just say my day was pretty much over then. I would spend the next couple hours getting lemonade, borrowing a cooler, helping make a poster, getting Mahna down for a nap and listening to. I wonder how much money we will make, we should do this, we should say that, when is Mahna waking up, why does she have to sleep so long why can't she just sleep at the lemonade stand, is it almost time to go, i hope I make lots and lots of money........ Let me just say non stop talking. It is cute, though, of course, just amazing what nonstop one sided conversation can do to turn your stress level up a notch or two. We had fun though. Our original intention was to go to Central Park where there is ALWAYS a hundred million people. Um, not yesterday, maybe it was because by the time we got there it was 5:30 pm or maybe it was because it was 98 degrees? Who knows but I went into panic mode. I thought I am NOT going thru all this crap again and starting over another day. WE MUST FIND A PLACE TO SELL AT LEAST ONE CUP OF LEMONADE!!! Katherine says "where would people be on such a hot day"? DING DING DING a pool! Okay so we go by the aquatic center, but there is no where to really set up discreetly. So we drove to my parents neighborhood (Kendra can say it right "Wehhhhhhhhlington") and set up on the median between the community pool and neighborhoods. I think it warmed a lot of people's hearts to see a lemonade stand. Some people stopped and gave them their change or a dollar and didn't even want lemonade. Some lady went on and on about how hot she was from being at the lake. Lots of people came by walking their dogs, but none of them had change for lemonade. The girls offered to give THEM free lemonade. So after about 90 minutes of this, during which I sort of stayed back with mahna, the girl's faces were bright red and they had sweat covering their scalps. Still they say "five more minutes? We might get another customer!". Too cute. So we finally came back and they had millions more ideas to do before their grandparents finally came to get them around 9:30. Make a video, do a news report, put on a concert, paint, draw, wash the cars, play in the hose....... Meanwhile I pretty much had Mahna in my arm the entire time and today it is super sore. Oh well, it was fun and I am sure will be some kind of memory for my neices. 3 kids for me? Hmm I dunno about that. I think I like giving Mahna my full attention 95% of the time instead. But then again she really enjoyed watching everything the girls did...... pros and cons, pros and cons.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

wow that is a pretty long post......if you made it this far thanks a lot!!!

Kendra said...

you're kind a business person, arentcha? i bet those girls love you. (no, i know that they do!!)

Brent said...

So, how was their "bottom line?" I love that you didn't mention it in the post, too, and focused on the experience. But now I want to know how much closer she is to getting what she needs for her room?

Caroline said...

they made about $14