Sunday, April 23, 2006

Church

Today I went to Crossroads Bible church where I usually do go, and have gone since I was in 10th grade which was like oh my gosh like 11 years ago??????????? Today Brent spoke instead of the usual preacher. I must say my attention was kept the whole time. I should back up and add that I intended to try out Garden Ridge Church of Christ today. I didn't go there for two reasons, one I was sort of scared to try somewhere new, and two, it started
at 10:15 instead of 10:45 so I got to stay in bed a little longer. I have figured out I can get ready and get Mahna ready in 30 min, so I got up at 10 to leave at 10:30. Anyway Brent really kept me interested. He talked about the student ministries and what all the middle and highschoolers are doing. They are doing more than the whole church it seems! It really made me wish that I could go back to highschool knowing what I know now and actually learn something and do something! They are doing mission trips to Holland and Russia and building houses for poor people in Mexico. The highschoolers are teaching the middle schoolers bible studies. They are all seemingly involved in something or another. I just wish there was a group for my age which was doing the same. That was one reason I consider trying out other churches. I love the preacher (Tim) at Crossroads and I feel like I learn a lot from him. I do not really feel myself fitting in at the church, I feel lost in a very very large crowd. I see too much middle age and older people who seem in a rush to leave right after church. I kind of want to find a "family" of people I can learn from and work toward things with. Then again I don't want to leave... So I am wrestling with myself today. Brent mentioned that we should all think about where we fit in and what our "thing" is. (not his exact words) I feel really strongly drawn toward helping teenage girls. Even mid school girls...........Heck girls from age 2 and up.........? I just know what it was like to be caught up in this and that as a mid and high schooler and I feel like I might be able to help some girl resist an urge or find a niche where she otherwise feels scared to connect with youtu for fear of being "different" in too many ways?....... I am rambling but I am putting my thoughts out here. One other thing I liked that you did today Brent, was that you named off each highschool senior who is graduating (were there 32?) and said something u were thankful for about each one. That was cool because it was PERSONAL. I have occasionally been to a tiny church. In their announcements they would say someones name and something they did or to pray for them etc etc. Sometimes our church is so big it doesn't feel like a family it feels like an auditorium in college. I am not complaining because it is good that Tim's words can reach so many people in one day... but it is cool to hear a few people's names called out, it made it feel like a family. I still may someday check out a church that has mostly people my age, or just another form of church, just because. But I really don't want to give up the church I have known for so long without really praying more about it and seeing if there IS a place for me
Oh I should also mention for any who are wondering why I was considering trying out Church of Christ. I don't really know anything about it's beliefs. I have seen signs saying "Celebrate Recovery". This interests me because I have a lot of addiction in my family and I also have a friend, a client...... a distant relative.........MYSELF and addiction issues are always there so why not tie them in with church? Also the commercial on TV lately about (is it United Church of Christ?) where the gay couple get bounced out of church then the crying baby.........the too old person.......thehomeless guy. Then the end of the commercial says something about lets make church for everyone! I love it! I want a hippy church where everyone feels comfortable and can witness to the truly lost and searching ones. Like druggies......man who is searching for God more than a druggie? Hello. Chasing a false happiness wishing for that inner peace, comfort, release of guilt. Honestly what would be really cool would be to find this group of gays, druggies, hippies and bring them in to Crossroads. Mix it up a bit, it would excite the suburbanites who may be bored with their existance and in turn the suburbanites can use all the wisdom they have gained from years under Tim's teaching to show the gaydruggiehippies what life is REALLY all about (relationship with God). Ok if you are still reading thank u so much and I am going to shut up now. PLEASE comment be it mean or nice. XOXO

10 comments:

Kendra said...

UCC and Church of Christ are pretty different, but i think it might be cool if you checked out the C o C, just to see what there banner is all about.

i like your church post. it's good exploration

Brent said...

It's nice to see you got PRECISELY what I was trying to talk about.

And I think you'd be a BRILLIANT small group leader for middle school girls. That might be a way you could go back to middle school knowing what you know now.

One other thing: Community should define the church. An authentic community living life--all of it, thegoodthebadtheugly--together. No matter how large or small.

Little Me said...

There are plenty of places to serve and connect in the church. The main problem, I think, is lack of promotion. Most people don't know to go look at the *hidden* ministry bulletain board. A minichurch would be a good place to get started, as well as becoming involved in student ministries. That's a great way to get to know families, too.
While I think that it is a good idea to explore other churches (be careful which ones, though), I am also of the opinion that (with any church) you feel as connected as you allow yourself to. Even in a smaller church it is easy to float along the edges of the crowd and never immerse yourself. While CBC may not be tops at drawing people into involvement, it does have plenty of places to serve and be served.

Little Me said...

Reguarding the 'gays, druggies, and hippies'...there ARE quite a few of those at CBC. Most of them have reformed their lifestyles, trying to live a more godly life. If we weren't in the 'burbs we might know more of them.

Steph said...

i can see how you would want something more personal, caroline. i always feel lost in the crowd at crossroads when i visit. i have a lot of anxiety about visiting my "old" church. maybe b/c it reminds me of the old me and i am proud of the present me. :) i love reading your blog. it's so fucking honest. i appreciate that.

Kendra said...

be careful? it's church! i'm sorry, i'm sure this seems harsh, but i think we have to have room to see what other believers are doing. if trying out churches is "dangerous" than maybe its just because it models the rest of the Christian life. CT wrote this inside Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies: "This book is not for the tender-hearted, but then neither is the Christian life." It has been an insightful and educational process to visit other congregations - some, precisely, that other believers warned me not to, to see how others live out their faith and worship.

Joye said...

While I agree that exploration is good, I DO believe we need to be careful when we're seeking a new church. Not every fellowship is a fellowship of saints, not all believers are believing truth, not every theology is sound doctrine. Remember 1John 4:1, 2Peter 2:1 (or all of 2Peter, really), about watching out for false teachers. I think one should have an idea of what a church believes before they walk into it in hopes of finding a new church home. There's lots of room within the body of Christ to explore how other believers live out their faith and worship; lots of room for different interpretations of scripture, freedom in Christ allows us that. But there's no wiggle room when it comes to the fundamentals of basic Christianity- that salvation is by faith alone, for starters.

Caroline said...

I am probably not gutsy enough to go try a new church anyway. I think I am purdy educated in what is right and wrong, so I doubt I would be swayed but then you just never know. It scares me to hear about the end times and how possibly christians will follow false prophets. I do want to stay at Crossroads, I just want to find something to be excited about there.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that religion and belief in God doesnt have to be a cookie cutter idea. Having faith and being christ like is really the point isnt it! Caroline, go were your heart leads. If its baptist, catholic, buddhism, what have you ....God will point you in the right direction. I think you would be a wonderful mentor for younger girls. If I could have the you now to guide the me when I was 14 I would have gotten through things with a lot less damage. Follow your heart.

Love you ALWAYS!
Nikki

Little Me said...

What I meant was that, while our church chooses to focus on the freedom of the grace given to you by Christ's sacrifice, many other denominations choose to add additional restrictions. It's okay for a Christian to place extra laws upon onesself where one finds it necessary to apply oneself to a Godly life, but I personally would resent having rules placed upon me by a church. Some people like that. Some people need that. But where Church of Christ is concerned- I think you would find rather less freedom there than you are used to. It's fine for some people. Maybe it's fine for you. Visit if you want to. Just be sure you know essentially what a church believes before you involve yourself.